Wednesday, March 28, 2012

How to get the SQLEXPRESS GUID ?

Hi, please can someone be so kind and tell me the fastet way to get the GUID of the running SQLExpress instance ?

Sincerely,gonzo883.

hi,

what do you mean by "the GUID of the running SQLExpress instance"?

regards

|||

I mean the GUID of my SQLExpress server, I need the GUID because I want to use SSL encryption and to register SSL via httpcfg so I need the GUID.

Sincerely,gonzo883.

|||

hi,

GUID string identifying the entity registering the certificate. As a best practice, create one GUID for each instance of SQL Server 2005 and use that same GUID for all certificate registrations made by that instance.

so just "create" your own guid (as no one is directly present nor available from the instance) and save that value for your references..

regards

|||

Thank you for your reply, but I don't know how to create a own guid for my instance od SQLExpress. Can you please explain this.

Sincerely,gonzo883.

|||

OK, I've registert the certificate, but I have some more problems to get the whole think working :

I've created a certificate with selfssl for my server (cn=www.example.de) and have registered it via '/T' for the default web site.

After that I've controled via httpcfg query ssl if the certificate is really registered to the server.

Now I try to set the SQLExpress server to use the encryption in the configuration manager, but the certificate was not shown in the dialogue field. I check 'force encryption' and try to reach the server from a client.

With the web browser if can connect via https after accepting the certificate, I also add the certificate to the 'trusted' ones on the client.

When I try to connect to the server using the SQL management studio with the option 'encrypt' I get an error message that server could be reached but the certificate was a trusted one.

What I have to do on the client that the certificate would be seen as a trusted one.

I also have exported the certificate from the server as a *.pfx file and have imported it to the client, but I still get the error message .

Sorry for my bad english,gonzo883.

No comments:

Post a Comment